






Take us with you Uncle Jordan!!!
Over the past two weeks we have been in Utah spending time with family. Specifically we were there for my little brother Jordan who just left on a two year LDS mission to Mexico City, Mexico mission. I can't believe it is already here. It seems like yesterday that he got his call, and now he is in the MTC.
When we got there it was Labor Day weekend and we went down to Levi's parents house for a Chappell and Petersen reunion. On Saturday we had our large family reunion with the Chappell side. It was really enjoyable. Levi's Aunt made bonnets for all of the little girls, and his uncle got cowboy hats and made wooden rubber band guns for the little boys.
The reunion was great, all except for one thing... Wylie got horribly sunburnt and fell face first onto the cement. It was one of those moments when you feel like the worst mother in the entire world. For whatever reason I didn't even think to put sunscreen on the poor little girl, and her poor little face, ears and neck got a pretty bad burn. It made for a good week of her in misery and caked in aloe vera. She was a trooper through it all. Thankfully Easton came out unscathed.
Monday(Labor Day) We had our Petersen Family Reunion. It was a lot of fun! We all got together at Levi's parents house and rented a blow up slide. All of the kids loved it, and I was sure to put lots and lots of sunscreen on my kids this time around.
That night we headed up to my parents condo in Park City to spend some time with my side of the family.(our last full week with Jordan before he left.) It was a lot of fun! We, like usual, stayed up way to late playing games and had a lot of fun activities throughout the week. We played frisbee golf, went swimming, played down at the arcades, and Levi and my Dad did a little golfing. It all was a lot of fun! While we were up there my Dad showed Wylie a dollar bill and told her who was on the dollar bill and had her saying throughout the entire week George Washington. It was really cute! I kept telling her to ask him for a Benjamin Franklin, but she wouldn't. I guess she's not as greedy as her mom! :-)
At the end of the week we headed back down to my parents house in South Jordan for Jordan's Farewell Talk. He did such an amazing job, and apparently Wylie strongly agreed with what he said because at the end of his talk she yelled Amen, and when I say yelled I mean, I was out in the hallway with Easton and I heard her, yelled. She is so cute! Afterwards we had family over and we got to meet a lot of Jordan's friends from college. It was really neat to see so many people come out to support him.
Of course it was inevitable that Wednesday would come around, and that meant it was time to take Jordan to the MTC. It all went by so fast. We all went together to Sizzler for lunch before we took him down to Provo where he will be spending the next 8 weeks before he leaves to Mexico. It was really hard to watch him go, but I am so very proud of him. I can't wait to hear all of the amazing stories and experiences that he has. It sounds like the first few days were a little stressful for him. I guess when he showed up they couldn't find him on the check in list and it turns they had changed his date so he wasn't actually supposed to come until October for a 6 week program instead of an 8 week program. Nonetheless they checked him in and got him set up with an already paired companionship. So he is now a threesome companionship and one of his companions is the DL. He seems to really enjoy both of his companions so far though, and his mission President. We'll see how the next few days go for him, but I am sure he will do great things!!
Friday we started our trek back to Texas. It is always a bittersweet feeling to be returning home, but I know the kids were excited to be sleeping back in their own beds. Unfortunately the travel back didn't go as smoothly as possible. Apparently all the rain that we have been missing this summer decided to show up while we were in the air trying to get back home. So of course our plane would have landed on time, and even early actually, but the weather was just too bad that they had to circle, and circle and circle the airport until they finally decided that they were going to close the airport that we were supposed to land in and they were going to send us to another airport to land so that we could fill up with more fuel. As soon as we got close to that airport, they decided that the weather had cleared enough for us to land back in DFW.(our poor pilot.) By this time our kids had had enough... They wanted off! Easton was tired and hungry. Wylie was tired and hungry! It was a good thing that we were finally landing, and landing in the correct location or we would have been in big trouble. We finally landed and got the kids home. I never saw Wylie so excited to see her bed! She ran in there so fast as immediately asked us if she could sleep. Poor girl! It had been a great trip and a long way home, but it was good to finally be home.



No comments:
Post a Comment